Wednesday, October 29, 2008

I have American bill about Student Loans, best way to send US funds to US bank from Canadian bank?

Q. I think this question may have already been posted, but here goes..I am moving to Canada. I have American bills, some ongoing and some temporary (car loan, life insurance, student loan, and will have some remaining credit card payments–not huge, but at least a couple of months worth). I will need to send money at least monthly to my US bank. Any suggestions on the best–and with the fewest fees–method of doing this? When I lived overseas in Asia, I was able to wire money to my US account monthly for a small fee..not sure how this would work between CA
A. -Some* US banks (www.usaa.com for one) don’t mind accepting Canadian checks for deposit into your account. When I last tried it (in 2000), if it was a US$ check (i.e., one written against your US$ checking account in a Canadian bank), USAA FSB would credit the entire amount with no fees deducted; if it was a CDN$ check, they would apply a very reasonable exchange rate. They did not charge fees for depositing Canadian checks (though they do charge a fee for depositing other foreign checks).But you need to check with your US bank before doing this: some banks may charge you a fee for depositing a Canadian check; and, of course, there may be a fund availability delay of several days or weeks.For instant availability, wire transfers are also available, but they will cost you a pretty penny. I think most Canadian banks will charge $20-30 for a wire transfer to the USA. Most US banks won’t charge a fee for *receiving* a wire transfer.-Open a US$ account in Canada with US chequing privileges (they do exist) and you can pay your bills that way. Or, get a US$ bank draft and mail that to your US bank … you may want to keep a float in the US bank so that way you’re a month ahead with the bills to stop holds causing problems. Or, you can wire the money but the fee isn’t exactly small.-TD bank has an option to get a US checking account in their US division, TD Waterhouse. That way you can use online bill paying for your US bills, write checks on a US bank, and transfer money between your Canadian bank and US bank with a phone call for free. I have been in Canada for 2 years now and have been using this to pay my US credit cards and such with no problem. They also give you a Visa check card you can use in stores too. .

No comments: